Table of Contents
What is Indomethacin?
Indomethacin is a drug used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, acute gout, bursitis, tendinitis, synovitis, etc. The product ingredient is Indomethacin sodium .
The brand name of Indomethacin in the United States is Indocin.
Indomethacin Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis in peripheral tissues.
Therapeutic indications, uses and benefits
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Acute musculoskeletal disorders (bursitis, tendinitis, synovitis, etc.).
- Inflammatory processes following surgical interventions.
- Acute gout.
- Relief of pain and other symptoms of primary dysmenorrhoea.
– Rectal dose: 50-100 mg/day.
– Oral dose:
Non-retardant forms: recommended: 50-200 mg/day (2-4 doses).
Chronic processes start with 25 mg/8-12 h increase progressively; max. 200 mg/day.
Acute gout: 50 mg/8 h.
Acute processes: 25 mg/6-8 h.
Primary dysmenorrhoea: 25 mg/8 h.
Delay forms: 75 mg/day, max. 75 mg/12 h.
Method of administration
Oral use. Administer with food, milk or an antacid.
Contraindications of Indomethacin
- Hypersensitivity to this active ingredient and/or other NSAIDs.
- Active duodenal ulcer, history of recurrent gastric lesions.
- Breastfeeding; children < 14 years.
- In addition, recent history of proctitis (rectal).
Warnings and precautions
Elderly people, psychiatric alterations, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, coagulation alteration or under treatment with anticoagulants, renal insufficiency, hepatic insufficiency, cardiac insufficiency, infectious processes (masks its symptoms).
In chronic treatments, periodically control the hematic picture and hepatic function, and in rheumatoid arthritis, carry out regular ophthalmological examinations.
Caution. Chronic treatments control of liver function.
Interactions with Indomethacin
- Plasma levels decreased by: AAS.
- Plasma levels increased by: probenecid, diflunisal.
- Reduces hypotension of: ß-blockers, thiazide diuretics, furosemide, captopril.
- Increases plasma levels of: lithium, frequent determination of them.
Not recommended for use during pregnancy.
Use during the 27-34 week of gestation has detected various adverse effects on the fetus: on the cardiovascular system, platelets, renal function, gastrointestinal system.
Avoid. Contraindicated. It is eliminated by milk.
Adverse reactions and side effects of Indomethacin
Headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, depression, vertigo and fatigue, nausea, anorexia, vomiting, epigastric discomfort, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhoea, ulcerations in esophagus, duodenum and small intestine.
Gastrointestinal bleeding without evidence of ulcer and increased abdominal pain in patients with pre-existing ulcerative colitis.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ VIDEO OF INDOMETHACIN/INDOCIN (DRUG)
Source: The content of this active ingredient has been written taking into account the clinical and molecular information of all medicines authorised and marketed in the United States under the Unique Ingredient Identifier (UNII) by the Substance Registration System (SRS) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the United States Pharmacopeia (USP).
In order to know in detail the information authorized by the FDA for each drug, you should consult the corresponding medication guide authorized by the FDA.