What is Cefdinir?
Cefdinir is a drug used for the treatment of otitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, skin infections, pneumonia. The product ingredient is Cefdinir monohydrate.
The brand name of Cefdinir in the United States is Omnicef.
Cefdinir Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Inhibits the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
Therapeutic indications, uses and benefits of Cefdinir
Pharyngitis and tonsillitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes. Acute otitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae (including strains producing ?-lactamase), Streptococcus pneumonie (only strains susceptible to penicillin) and Moraxella catarrhalis (including strains producing ?-lactamase).
Skin infections with and without complications caused by Staphylococcus aureus (including ?-lactamase-producing strains) and S. pyogenes.
Community acquired pneumonia, exacerbations of chronic bronchitis and acute sinusitis caused by: Haemophilus influenzae and H. parainfluenzae (including strains producing ?-lactamase), Streptococcus pneumonie (only strains susceptible to penicillin) and Moraxella catarrhalis (including strains producing ?-lactamase).
Dosage of Cefdinir
Adolescents and adults: the daily dose for all infections is 14 mg/kg up to a maximum dose of 600 mg/day.
Patients on chronic hemodialysis: initial dose 300 mg or 7 mg/kg/day. 300 mg (or 7 mg/kg) should be administered at the end of each hemodialysis session and subsequent doses are administered daily.
Known allergy to cephalosporinic antibiotics.
Warnings and Precautions with Cefdinir
- History of colitis.
- Persistent or transient renal insufficiency (creatinine clearance <30 ml/min), daily dose should be reduced.
- Safety and efficacy in neonates and infants younger than 6 months of age has not been established.
Caution. Dose adjustment.
Interactions with Cefdinir
- Interacts with antacids (aluminum or magnesium): should be taken at least 2 h before or after the antacid; probenecid; supplements and foods fortified with Fe: should be taken at least 2 h before or after the supplement.
- Lab: false positives in those ketone tests in urine in which nitroprusside is used (not in those with nitroferricianide), in the determination of glucose in urine with test strips, Benedict sol. or Fehling sol. It is therefore recommended to use glucose tests based on enzymatic reactions of glucose oxidase.
- Cephalosporins are also known as occasional inducers of a positive Coombs test.
Pregnancy and Cefdinir
Do not use during pregnancy.
Not detected in breast milk, after administration of a dose of 600 mg.
Adverse reactions and side effects of Cefdinir
Diarrhea; nausea; rash; seizures; allergic reactions; anaphylaxis; Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
Erythema multiforme; toxic epidermal necrolysis; renal dysfunction; toxic nephropathy; liver dysfunction including cholestasis.
Aplastic anemia; hemolytic anemia; hemorrhage; false positive urine glucose test; neutropenia; pancytopenia; agranulocytosis.
Pseudomembranous colitis may begin during or after treatment.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ VIDEO OF CEFDINIR/OMNICEF (DRUG)
Source: The content of this active ingredient has been written taking into account the clinical and molecular information of all medicines authorised and marketed in the United States under the Unique Ingredient Identifier (UNII) by the Substance Registration System (SRS) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the United States Pharmacopeia (USP).
In order to know in detail the information authorized by the FDA for each drug, you should consult the corresponding medication guide authorized by the FDA.